Friday, April 24, 2009

Hungry Girl?

Self-proclaimed "Hungry Girl" Lisa Lillien has recently come out with a new cookbook "200 under 200" that has hungry girls all over raving. The Hungry Girl empire consists of a Web site, 2 cookbooks, a subscribable email list, and, of course, the presupposition that "real" women can't follow a "real" diet, but, instead, would rather recreate low-calorie options for their favorite junk foods like pigs in a blanket or creme brule (with only 104 calories!). According to an April 24 article on Jezebel:





"Hungry Girl has 700,000 subscribers to its daily e-mails, and Lillien employs a staff of nine. If she raves about a diet cookie, sales go through the roof; her pans can spell, if not doom, trouble. Clearly her 'just us girls who need treats' approach makes people feel better than judgmental, 'snobbish" (as she would say) and unrealistic dictates about fruits and vegetables.'




I have to admit that I bought her first book, and even though I've used her recipes a total of about 5 times, I think it's a pretty good resource for single twenty-somethings who don't have time to throw down in the kitchen after a long day at grad school, unpaid internships, or lower-level coffee-fetching jobs. The other demographic of twenty=somethings just eat out.


Hungry Girl Lillien is gettin tons of press lately, including a profile in the Washington Post. So, in the world of diet news, this skinny lady takes center stage!

No comments:

Post a Comment